7 Days of Blogging Freebies - Sign Up Today!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

An Extended Break

       So its been just a few days shy of three months since I last updated. Its been a long three months. Let's start with the small stuff first. In June I received a call for a job in Vermont. I accepted it and we all started making plans to move to Vermont. But as the days grew closer to that, the kids decided they didn't want to move, along with Scott and I having our doubts about it. Yet we pushed past that and encouraged the kids it was going awesome along with encouraging each other. The day came to get the moving truck, pack it up and tell everyone good bye. Yet that didn't happen. The Uhaul place didn't have the right size truck, we were getting  a smaller truck than anticipated, so we gave away a lot of our stuff (kitchen table, microwave, a tv and a couple of other smaller things), then we loaded the truck up. Moving time was here, we had all shed some tears, but otherwise we were looking forward to a new place with new people and friends. Then my van died on me. After that, we took it as a sign that we weren't meant to move to Vermont. (Honestly this was the second time in two years that we had attempted to move to Vermont and it not work out).
      That first night, we split the kids up among family members while Scott and I got a hotel room and talked about everything. We admitted the guy feelings each of us had about it not being the right thing and how everything was working against us. We discussed different things, but we knew that we couldn't go back where we were at, because the gentleman that we were renting our house from, had rented it to someone else. So here we were, all of our stuff loaded in a moving truck and technically homeless. What do we tell the kids? How are we going to be able to move forward? A million questions ran through our minds.
       We finally decided to go to the beach for a few days to relax and regroup with the kids. We put all of our stuff in a storage building and hit the road. We found a nice little hotel to stay at for a couple of days and we found ourselves taking a liking to the beach and the area and the people. (There is most definitely a bigger homeschool group here than from where we were originally at) So on Monday morning, June 26th (just a week after everything went to hell in a hand basket for a move to Vermont) I started job hunting. After a few phone calls, I found a job doing housekeeping at a hotel about two miles from the beach. I started work the next day. The day after that, we moved into a room in the hotel. And two weeks later Scott had a job here at the hotel.
          Flash forward to today: We are still living here in our hotel room, Scott and I both have a job.
Our room is a little crowded with us all loaded in it, but we are making do with it. We have a small kitchen with a full size fridge and apartment sized stove in it, so we get to cook (which makes any place a home to me because I love cooking). We moved one of the beds out and bought a couch to move in, so there is room for the kids to play, they rotate who sleeps in a sleeping bag and who sleeps on the couch. Then there are the 5-7 visits a week to the beach. We are most definitely meant to be beach bums. LOL Being here just feels right, we have made a few friends, joined a great homeschool association and group (impatiently waiting on our first 'field trip' with them! And we are slowly getting back into the groove of school. With all of our stuff being in a storage building 5 hrs away, we are doing lots of worksheets and life skills lessons right now, but I am a firm believer in it doesn't matter how you learn as long as you learn. And we make sure to learn at least one new thing a day!
     Now that we are settled into our new routine I will most definitely get back to updating and blogging more often! I have missed it a lot and can't wait to share our journey through homeschooling and our crazy life with you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley, I happened upon your blog through the Ultimate Homeschool Blog. I live in South Carolina as well...Lancaster Co. I homeschool my son, Noble, who is going into the 7th grade. I also work part time on the internet in social media.

    It sounds like you've had some very trying months as of late. I feel for what you are going through right now. My family and I have been through quite a bit as well. I want to encourage you and let you know that I will be praying for you. I hope that you will be able to settle in a home soon so that you can spread out and have some space!

    Blessings to you and your family!

    Lisa Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa for your kind and encouraging words. It has been a difficult few months, but we are finally seeing a new beginning! I wish you luck homeschooling your son and if you are ever at the beach, look me up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still using Connection's Academy? When I pulled my son out of public school after the 3rd grade we decided to use Connection's Academy to help us transition to homeschooling. We used CA for 2 1/2 years. Now I homeschool the traditional way. We are starting school on the 20th. When do you all start?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No we are not. I didn't like how close to public school it was and how you are told you can work at your own pace yet you really can't do that. We are schooling the traditional way. Right now, it's worksheets and computer stuff until I can get the stuff out of storage. And we started school, this week.

    ReplyDelete